Skip to main content

Walking Tour Penitentiary to the Supreme Court

12may(may 12)10:00 am18(may 18)2:00 pmWalking Tour Penitentiary to the Supreme CourtEvent Type Bi-centenary,Workshop

Event Details

A Tour Marking the Bicentenary of the First Sitting of the Supreme Court of Van Diemens Land on 10th May 1824

Hear stories of the places and people who have been part of the 200 year history of the Supreme Court in Tasmania. This tour will introduce you to the rooms of the Supreme Court that were housed within two wings of the converted Hobart Penitentiary Chapel from 1860 to 1979, following which, we will walk to the new Supreme Court in Salamanca passing the first court on Murray Street. On arrival at the Supreme Court we will be given a history of the new building by special guest presenters.

The current Supreme Court of Tasmania (originally Van Diemens Land) was created by the Third Charter of Justice in 1824.  The Royal Charter of Justice was read in the market place in Hobart Town on 7 May 1824 and the oath of office administered to Chief Justice Pedder at Government House by the Governor Colonel William Sorell, prior to the opening of the Supreme Court on 10 May 1824.

The Court was first housed in a building on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets. Civil and criminal matters were dealt with in the same court complex. However in 1860 the Penitentiary Chapel at the corner of Brisbane and Campbell Streets was converted into a criminal court and a new court was opened in the Public Buildings in Macquarie Street for civil cases. The Court was eventually unified again in 1980 when the final phase of the new purpose designed complex was opened at Salamanca Place.

This is a free event

Book here: Booking link

There are 3 tours available to book:

11 May 2024, 10:00am to 12:00pm

12 May 2024, 10:00am to 12:00pm

18 May 2024, 10:00am to 12:00pm



12 (Sunday) 10:00 am - 18 (Saturday) 2:00 pm